Vehicle Chase Leads To Arrest Of Clarksville Man
Date of News Release: 02/04/2015
Hopkinsville, KY (Christian County) - The Kentucky State Police arrested a Clarksville man after a brief vehicle chase.
On Wednesday, February 4, at approximately 8:03 a.m., Trooper Michael Dennis was conducting stationary patrol on US 41A in Hopkinsville when he observed a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix traveling southbound at a high rate of speed. Trooper Dennis activated his emergency equipment in an attempt to stop the vehicle; however, the driver disregarded his emergency equipment and continued to flee.
As the vehicle continued southbound at a high rate of speed, approaching the underpass of I-24, it ran the stop light at the intersection of US 41A and the westbound off-ramp. The vehicle continued southbound into Oak Grove. As the vehicle approached Gate 7 Road, it started to slow. After passing Gate 7 Road, the vehicle pulled onto the left shoulder of the roadway and came to an abrupt stop. The driver, identified as Willie L. Gray, 39, of Clarksville, TN, exited the vehicle and was taken into custody without further incident at approximately 8:07 a.m.
Trooper Dennis charged Mr. Gray with the following offenses:
- Speeding 26 MPH or > Over the Limit
- DUI 1st Offense (Aggravating Circumstances)
- Open Alcoholic Beverage Container in Motor Vehicle Prohibited
- Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree - Police Officer
- Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree (2 counts)
- Fleeing/Evading Police 1st Degree (Motor Vehicle)
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- No Operator's License
- Reckless Driving
- Disregarding A Traffic Control Device (3 counts)
- Failure to Wear Seatbelt
Mr. Gray was lodged in the Christian County Jail.
Trooper Luis Palmer and the Oak Grove Police Department assisted.