The Thin Gray Line
Apply Today
Kentucky State Police logo


Pursuant to KRS 237.110, 237.138, 237.140, 237.142 and 502 KAR 13:010 qualified honorably retired elected or appointed peace officers may apply for certification to carry a concealed deadly weapon pursuant to the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), 18 U.S.C. 926C. The forms and processes for LEOSA certification have been updated to reflect amendments to LEOSA. Click here for the text of Public Law 111–272, which revised several provisions of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), 18 U.S.C. 926C, including the definition of the term “qualified retired law enforcement officer”.

  1. Initial application – In addition to the application, each retired peace officer who desires certification to carry a concealed deadly weapon pursuant to LEOSA is required to submit the following to the sheriff of his county of residence to be attached to the application:
    1. Evidence of retired status together with all information required by applicable federal and state laws and administrative regulations;
    2. Evidence of successful completion of firearms qualification required by KRS Chapter 237 including annually meeting the marksmanship qualification requirement for a retired peace officer established in KRS Chapter 237. The Peace Officer Range Qualification Certification-LEOSA (KSP Form 123) must be completed and signed by the retired peace officer and the firearms instructor/trainer, as appropriate, in the places indicated. Once completed and signed, the form shall be returned to the retired peace officer to be attached to the completed application. You may wish to visit the website of the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training at for information on available firing range dates.
    3. A signed, notarized statement from the applicant that he or she is an eligible peace officer (KSP Form 124A). (KSP RETIRED OFFICERS ONLY-after completion of the form and notarization of the signature of the retired KSP officer, the form should then be submitted to the KSP CCDW Section, 1266 Louisville Road, Frankfort, KY 40601, which will then forward to the Commissioner).
    4. A notarized statement from the agency that employed the applicant as a law enforcement officer that the applicant is an eligible peace officer (KSP Form 124B).
    5. A photograph that meets one of the following standards:
      1. An original color photograph or a color photographic copy developed from the negative of an original photograph and:
        1. Be no less than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches by four (4) inches; and
        2. Not exceed four (4) inches by six (6) inches;
      2. A color photograph from a digital camera, rated for seven (7) megapixels or greater, printed on photograph quality paper; or
      3. An original color passport style photograph that is:
        1. 2 x 2 inches in size; and
        2. Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
          The photograph shall display the full front of the head and the facial features of the applicant and not be a photograph of the applicant wearing:
          • Sunglasses;
          • A hat; or
          • Attire that obscures a facial feature, hair, or hairline.
  2. Fee – There is no charge for submitting a LEOSA application.
  3. Issuance – Once a LEOSA application has been processed and approved, both a CCDW license, valid for 5 years, and a Kentucky LEOSA license, valid for 12 months from the date of the most recent range qualification, will be issued to the applicant at no charge. A free CCDW license will not be issued to honorably retired peace officers from other states or federal agencies who currently reside in Kentucky since they are not exempt from payment of the CCDW license application fee under KRS 237.110. When a LEOSA application has been approved, the retired peace officer will be notified by mail. The LEOSA license must be accepted in person at the office of the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.
  4. Renewal – The process for renewal is the same as the initial application except that licensees that are seeking renewal of their LEOSA certification do not have to submit a copy of the “LEOSA Law Enforcement Retirement Certification”, KSP 124B, if the licensee previously submitted retirement certification that was accepted by the Kentucky State Police.
  5. Lost/stolen/destroyed licenses – If your license is lost, stolen or destroyed you must submit a REQUEST FOR DUPLICATE LEOSA LICENSE (KSP 127) to the Kentucky State Police.
  6. Address/personal information change – Notify the Kentucky State Police of a change in your permanent address or other information on your license. To change or update your address or personal information, you must complete a Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Licensee Request for Change of Personal Information (KSP 120) form at the office of the Sheriff of your county of residence. Once completed, the Sheriff will forward the information to the Kentucky State Police.

You can download the required forms at the KSP CCDW Forms page